Mental Mondays: How To Protect Yourself From Energy Vampires
ampires are real. They’re usually not the cape-wearing, ‘mwah-hah-hah-ing’ types, but rather people with ordinary jobs who just consume blood.” Those are the factual words of the scientist and journalist Marissa Fessenden, and I believe she must have shed the light on this one.
If you’re feeling drained of energy even after a full night’s sleep, you need to make some lifestyle changes. It’s also possible you’re being drained by energy vampires. These are individuals who suck the life out of you with their negativity and toxic behavior. One thing is certain, you’re not indebted to continue tolerating toxicity. No one will take charge of your happiness and peace as you would. Learn effective ways to protect yourself from energy vampires and take back control of your life. It’s never too late to safeguard your energy and reclaim your power.
Here’s how to spot an energy vampire
Energy vampires are energy-draining leeches who suck out the positivity from those around them. They come out as negative, controlling, and manipulative. They may also be demanding, and leave you feeling exhausted and depleted after spending time with them. Some common characteristics of energy vampires include:
- Constantly complaining and focusing on the negative
- Being controlling or demanding in their behavior and attitude
- Having a victim mentality and blaming others for their problems
- Being emotionally exhausting or draining to be around
- Being unpleasant, critical, or judgmental
- In relationships, they take more than they give
What happens with an energy vampire?
These individuals have a detrimental effect on your life. Your mental and emotional health may be affected, leading to stress, anxiety, and sadness. Your physical health isn’t left out. The mind-body connection makes it impossible for an individual to function at an optimal phase when the mind is heavily laden. Therefore, you’re likely to feel weary and exhausted all the time. It’s worse when these individuals are around you daily or are close friends. Chances are, you will eventually feel frustrated and resentful toward them. For instance, an energy-draining colleague can be the absolute worst. If you let them, they’ll sap you of inspiration, creativity, and productivity.
What are the signs to look out for?
- Feeling drained or worn out after being with them
- Being depleted of vigor and optimism
- Feeling tense or overwhelmed in their presence
- Being used as a tool for control or manipulation
- Feeling angry or resentful after interactions with them.
Consider how you feel after being around someone to determine if they are an energy vampire. Do you experience fatigue, tension, or draining? Do they constantly demand your time and attention, or do they prefer to vent and be negative? You may determine this by keeping an eye out for these actions and considering how they affect your well-being. You should also pay attention to your gut instinct. Trust your gut when something about someone’s behavior feels off and take precautions to shield yourself from their damaging effects.
Check out 5 easy ways to protect yourself from energy vampires…
#1. Set boundaries
The first step in protecting yourself against energy vampires is to set boundaries. This entails being upfront and assertive about the attitudes and actions you find objectionable. Determine what you’re willing to tolerate. Setting boundaries always works like magic, for example:
- Saying “no” to requests for your time and attention when they are excessive
- Putting an end to nasty or taxing interactions
- Refusing to participate in their negativity or drama
- Reducing the time you spend with them
- Clearly stating the actions that you find unacceptable in the partnership
#2. Respect yourself
Self-care means you value yourself enough to shield yourself from toxicity. Taking care of your physical, mental, and emotional health will help you put things in perspective. Also, participating in happy, peaceful, and optimistic activities often rejuvenates your body and lifts your spirit.
- Take part in joyful pursuits, such as hobbies or sports.
- Spend time with people who are uplifting and encouraging.
- Allow time for introspection and self-reflection.
- Take good care of your physical health by exercising and eating right.
- Use meditation and mindfulness techniques to ease stress and enhance well-being.
#3. Build inner strength
If energy vampires are thriving in your space, it is important to build inner strength in order to maintain your sanity and help you go through your day without losing your mind.
Here are some tips to explore:
- Practice self-love and positive self-talk
- Surround yourself with positive and supportive people
- Engage in activities that boost your confidence and self-esteem
- Rather than run away from hiccups, be bold enough to face and overcome challenges and difficulties in life.
- Practice gratitude and focus on the positive aspects of your life.
#4. Release toxicity
Another important aspect to consider is releasing toxicity. Energy vampires thrive in toxic environments and the more you let them in, the more you attract others just like them. In order to rid yourself of toxicity, here are some tips:
- End relationships with energy vampires
- Refuse to engage in negative or toxic behaviors and attitudes
- Practice forgiveness and let go of resentment and anger
- Surround yourself with positive and supportive people
- Focus on positivity and well-being
#5. Use positive affirmations
This can increase your self-confidence and self-esteem. Positive words improve your general well-being. This makes it an effective tool for warding off energy vampires. Here’s how to use positive affirmations:
- Affirmations should be written down and read every day
- Declare uplifting statements aloud to yourself
- Visualize accomplishing your objectives and desires
In the end, protecting yourself from these toxic individuals involves setting boundaries and loving yourself enough. By taking these practical steps, you can maintain your positive energy and avoid things that threaten your zen.
Featured image: Prostock-Studio/iStock
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle, and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
A creative writer with a voracious appetite for fashion, beauty, lifestyle and culture. As one who's passionate about the advancement of the woman, creating content that inspire smart style and living, and positive lifestyle changes is a calling I take seriously. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥