Pimples Be Gone: How to Get Rid of Acne in 4 Natural Ways
Pimples are an inflammation of the skin in which the sebaceous glands (oil glands under the skin) become infected with bacteria, swell up, and fill with pus. This is usually caused by excess secretion of sebum. Pimples generally appear on the face, neck, shoulders and back. Pimple swelling can be painful and cause an individual to feel miserable due to their appearance.
Below are some effective natural methods used in treating pimples within a short period.
1 | Use of Lemon juice is a quick way to get rid of pimples. Lemon juice is an astringent which helps pimples dry up very fast. Fresh lemon juice is much more effective as it does not contain preservatives.
There are a couple of ways to apply this remedy but here’s one:
- First cleanse your skin with mild soap and water.
- Apply a small amount of soap to a washcloth and gently scrub your skin to remove any oil or dirt buildup, rinse with warm water and dry with a clean towel.
- According to the American Academy of Dermatology, dermatologists suggest washing your face once or twice daily with warm water and a mild cleanser.
- Cut a fresh lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a bowl.
- After use, you can cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap and save for another treatment.
2 | Garlic possesses anti-viral, anti-fungal, antiseptic and anti-oxidant properties that can help in the fast treatment of pimples.
To apply, mix garlic with water as some people cannot tolerate the strong nature of garlic if applied directly. So diluting it with water will reduce the discomfort.
- Crush 3 raw garlic cloves which will trigger the allicin production.
- Mix it with 1 tablespoon of water (more water for those with sensitive skin).
- Rub the mixture over the acne.
- Allow it to sit for about 10 – 15 minutes (if using garlic for the first time) or leave it overnight.
- Wash it off with water and pat the skin dry.
- Repeat this process regularly.
3 | Ice can be used to quickly reduce the redness, swelling and inflammation of pimples. It helps in improving blood circulation to the affected area.
When icing a pimple, follow these simple steps:
- First make sure your skin is clean and freshly washed
- Wrap an ice cube in a thin washcloth – never apply ice directly to your skin!
- Place the wrapped cubed directly on top of the pimple
- Hold in place for 1 minute – no longer, as you do not want to harm the surrounding skin
- Remove ice, wait 5 minutes and if needed, reapply for 1 more minute
4 | Facial steaming is good for your skin at any time, but most especially when you have pimples. Steaming helps to open up skin pores and allows your skin to breathe. This helps get rid of oils, dirt and bacteria trapped in the pores that can cause infection or inflammation.
To steam your face:
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil.
- Wash your face while the water is heating up.
- Pour the steaming water into a bowl.
- Consider adding some herbs or essential oils.
- Lean over the bowl with a towel draped over your head.
- Wait 5 to 10 minutes.
- Consider using a face mask afterwards. Follow up with toner and moisturizer.
Cleanse your skin regularly and remember a healthy face is more important than makeup.
Credits: Livestrong | Homeremediesforlife | DermaDoctor | WikiHow
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRaveNG
A fashion enthusiast with a versatile personality who lights up at the sight of fabrics. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram! @StyleRave_ ♥