British-Ghanaian Model Adwoa Aboah Gets Her Own Barbie
International Women’s Day is a day set aside to celebrate women’s achievements, raise awareness against bias and take action for equality all over the world. The day which is celebrated on March 8th every year has its theme for 2019 as #BalanceForBetter.
One woman who is being specially celebrated this year is British-Ghanaian top model and activist Adwoa Maria Caitlin Aboah, popularly known as Adwoa Aboah.
The 26-year-old model was celebrated by the Barbie brand with the release of her own doll replica. This was done with the unveiling of the brand’s latest line of “Shero” dolls. According to Okay Africa, “these dolls are modelled after 20 inspirational women across multiple industries in conjunction with their 60th anniversary.”
The Gurls Talk founder has her dolls in two outfits: one in a leopard skirt paired with a Gurls Talk t-shirt and the second in a colourful sequined number and African head-wrap.
This second outfit – a Halpern dress, Stephen Jones turban and Christian Louboutin platform sandals – was the one Adwoa Aboah wore when she won the British Fashion Council’s ‘Model of the Year’ award in 2017.
Here’s the full line-up of Barbie’s 2019 “Sheroes”
- Adwoah Aboah, Activist and model, UK
- Yara Shahidi, Actor, model and activist, US
- Naomi Osaka, Tennis player, US
- Kelsea Ballerini, Singer and songwriter, US
- Kristina Vogel, Cycling champion, Germany
- Dipa Karmakar, Gymnastics champion, India
- Chen Man, Visual artist, China
- Melodie Robinson, Sports journalist and presenter, New Zealand
- Karla Wheelock, Mountaineer, writer and lecturer, Mexico
- Tessa Virtue, Ice skater, Canada
- Lisa Azuelos, Director, France
- Eleni Antoniadou, Nasa scientist, Greece
- Rosanna Marziale, Chef, Italy
- Ita Buttrose, AO, OBE, journalist and editor, Australia
- Tetsuko Kuroyanagi, Actor, talk show host and author, Japan
- Mariana Costa, Entrepreneur and activist, Peru
- Iwona Blecharczyk, Professional truck driver, Poland
- Gulse Birsel, Columnist, screenwriter and actor, Turkey
- Maya Gabeira, Big-wave surfer, Brazil
- Lyasan Utiasheva, TV show host and rhythmic gymnastics champion, Russia
Photo credit: IG | Adwoaaboah, Getty Images
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
A fashion and culture enthusiast who's really a food loving adventurer at heart. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥