f there’s one way our mothers monitored our hygiene as young girls, it was that extra scrutiny of our underwear. The bra strap would always give you away and with it came words we’d rather do without hearing.
As grown women, we know the importance of a clean bra and would stop at nothing to ensure they’re sparkling clean. However, when we get sentimentally attached to a favorite bra and though age starts to tell on the bra, we remain unrelenting. Most of us should be charged guilty for the present state of our bras, considering the way we fling them into the washing machine and really can’t be bothered because there’s already a lot life has thrown on our plates.
As understandable as your stance may be, if durability is part of your bra goal then it’s advised that you hand wash your bras so as to keep them in shape. Many who have walked the machine wash path would testify of how they had to mourn their favorite bra after it was spun out of shape. There’s a right way to hand wash your bra to rid them of stubborn stains and it’s actually pretty easy.
Here’s how to hand wash your bra to get that desired results…
Things you’ll need
- Dirty bras (duh!)
- Warm water
- Stain remover (if necessary)
- A bowl or sink
The hand washing process
If there are stubborn stains, dip a little stain remover and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes. If not, skip this step.
- Fill up the bowl/sink with warm water and detergent
- Throw in the bra and work in lather into the bra
- Soak for a few minutes, preferably 30 minutes to an hour
- After which it’s time to rinse
- To rinse properly, gently press on the hands to remove excess water. Repeat the process till the water is clear.
- Hang them on a cloth line or lay them out on a towel to dry. Do not wring/squeeze the bra!
- If your bra has push-up inserts, take them out before washing.
- If there are stubborn stains, you might have to dab on a stain remover and allow it to sit for a bit before getting to the detergent and warm water phase.
- Don’t add too much detergent to enable you to rinse off easier.
- Do not hang them up by their straps.
When you properly hand wash your bra, it stays in shape, lifts you up, and won’t stab you. How’s that for a loyal friend?
WATCH: How to hand wash your bra…
Featured image: bookzaa/iStock
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
A creative writer with a voracious appetite for fashion, beauty, lifestyle and culture. As one who's passionate about the advancement of the woman, creating content that inspire smart style and living, and positive lifestyle changes is a calling I take seriously. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥