Cardi B pleads not guilty to assault charge, faces jail time, End SARS Memorial, Ansu Fati extends Barcelona contract. Stay in the know with our Rave News Digest which summarizes five of the hottest global news you need to catch up on, saving you time and energy. Consider it your daily news fix.
Here is a rundown of five of the hottest news topics…
1. Cardi B pleads not guilty to assault charges, could face 4 years in prison
If convicted, Cardi B could face up to four years behind bars. https://t.co/G432WkNUBX— WJZ | CBS Baltimore (@wjz) October 19, 2021
Cardi B appeared at the Queens Criminal Court, where she pleaded not guilty to assault and reckless endangerment charges for the 2018 incident, which took place at a Flushing strip club. The rapper was accused of throwing a bottle at two bartenders, and she also ordered her friend to attack the pair. Cardi B turned down the chance to plead guilty to the third-degree assault charges in exchange for a conditional discharge. She now faces up to four years in jail if she is found guilty of the charges.
The rapper was previously offered a plea deal for the incident, which was said to have stemmed from allegations that one of the bartenders had slept with her husband Offset. Cardi B and her entourage were in the strip club when a brawl ensued. A restraining order was granted against the mother of two in 2019, barring her from any form of contact with the bartenders.
2. Protests hold in Nigeria to mark End SARS anniversary
Small demonstrations have been held in cities across Nigeria to mark one year since the security forces violently suppressed mass protests against police brutality. At least six people were arrested during the demonstration in the commercial hub of Lagos. Last year’s rallies, the largest in Nigeria’s recent history, began by calling for the disbanding of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad but escalated into protests over bad governance.
They ended when security forces shot at thousands of peaceful protestors in the Lagos suburb of Lekki. The notorious police squad was later allegedly disbanded, although people say it has been reconstituted under a different name.
3. South Africa: Desmond and Leah Tutu Foundation rubbishes claims the beloved Arch has died
NEW: A fake Twitter account set up by a man known for creating hoax accounts started a false rumor that Desmond Tutu died. Tutu is still alive, his foundation said. https://t.co/fK67zsRaAf pic.twitter.com/l3vVkSNmbJ— PolitiFact (@PolitiFact) October 20, 2021
The beloved Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, who recently celebrated his 90th birthday is “still with us” and rumors about his death have been labelled as fake news. The fake news spread like wildfire earlier on Wednesday after a Twitter account under the name of Bishop Stephen Moreo, tweeted he had died. The account, which has since been deactivated and removed from Twitter, had over 15 000 followers. The Anglican Bishop of Johannesburg also released a statement refuting the claims.
South Africans began to mourn the revered reverend online before the Desmond Tutu Foundation commented on the viral tweet confirming it was fake news. It released a statement on its own Twitter account shortly afterwards, stating it condemned the mischievous news.
4. Tigray’s capital hit by new airstrike
Tigrayan forces say Mekelle, the capital of the war-torn Tigray region in Northern Ethiopia, has been hit by airstrike for a second time this week. Kindeya Gebrehiwot, a member of the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF)’s central committee, tweeted about the airstrike being carried out in the city around 10:20 local time (7:20GMT). Residents have also confirmed the attack. The federal government has not said anything about the reported attack.
The Ethiopian air force carried out two airstrikes on Monday, saying it targeted communication infrastructure used by the TPLF. The UN said three children were killed in Monday’s air raid. There are reports of a intensive renewed fight between Tigray forces and Ethiopian army and its allies.
5. Ansu Fati signs six-year Barcelona deal with a 1bn buyout clause
OFFICIAL: Barcelona announce Ansu Fati has renewed his contract until June 2027 with a €1B/$1.17B release clause 👑 pic.twitter.com/eSfl2k3lEC— B/R Football (@brfootball) October 20, 2021
Barcelona’s teenage forward Ansu Fati has signed a contract extension that includes a 1bn euro (£846m) buyout clause. The 18-year-old, who is wearing Lionel Messi’s number 10 shirt this season at the Nou Camp, helped Barca to a 1-0 win against Dynamo Kyiv in the Champions League on Wednesday night. His new deal will run until 2027. Fati is the second Barca player in a week to sign a new deal with a 1bn euro buyout clause, following Pedri, 18.
The forward, who has four senior caps for Spain, has been at Barcelona since he was 10 years old and last month scored on his return to the side after 10 months out with a knee injury. Fati has played 47 first-team games for the club, scoring 15 goals. He became the second-youngest Barca player when he made his debut for the club aged 16 years and 298 days and is the club’s youngest scorer in La Liga.
Photo: iamcardib | Instagram
Our Week Day News Digest brings you a summary of five of the hottest news topics across the world––including celebrity news from Nollywood to Hollywood, the latest trending global headlines from American reports to top African news today, and the best sports stories in 2021.
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
— Read also
A fashion and pop culture writer who watches a lot of TV in his spare time. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥