On Monday, while most of us were having a good ol’ restful public holiday in light of Nigeria’s Independence, somewhere in America, the ultimate hair chameleon was busy showing off her new waist length “dreadlocks” in an absolutely gorgeous black and white mirror selfie. Rihanna literally broke Instragam with her lengthy faux locs and did so in her ever-so-chic and effortless style.
Though the “Work” singer has always been known for her bold, edgy and trendsetting style which nicely compliments her bad girl attitude, she is only one of a few celebrities who have recently slayed in faux locs. Celebs like Ciara and Zendaya have also been spotted rocking the Rasta mane.
It’s definitely a breath of fresh air seeing the pop star of African/Caribbean descent take back black culture and heritage by rocking faux locs, after all the cultural misappropriation criticism Marc Jacobs brought upon himself for using an all-white faux locs rocking model cast during his Spring/Summer ’17 show at the New York Fashion Week.
If you want to stick it to Marc Jacobs or simply want to fabulously rock faux locs a la bad girl Riri, Ciara or Zendaya, here’s a few things you need to know:
- Faux locs are a form of protective style
- They are temporary and durable for up to 3 to 4 months
- They come in yarn fibre, synthetic and human hair
- Human hair faux locs can be colored just like weaves
- During Installation, faux locs are wrapped around your natural hair
- If left for too long, your natural hair can loc into actual/ permanent dread locks
- Always pick a manageable length; the longer the loc, the heavier it is to carry
- Always take care of your locs by oiling your scalp with essential oils like coconut oil daily
Here’s a DIY video from beauty blogger Sharees Love on how to install faux locs. Enjoy!
Photo Credit: Rihanna’s Instagram, Google
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram! @StyleRave_ ♥