The #10YearChallenge is one trend that has taken over January in full force. With a cumulative of almost 3 million posts on Instagram and celebrities piloting the challenge, we have decided to join the bandwagon by bringing you 10 Nigerian songs that rocked the year 2009.
How has the Nigerian music industry changed? In 2009, Mohits Records ruled the airwaves and dance halls with artists like Wande Coal and D’banj dropping hit after hit. Before he was singing about Bum Bum or Bam Bam, Timaya was still a Plantain Boy.
From Lagos Party to Strong Ting and featuring on eLDee’s Big Boy, Banky W. was all about music in 2009, and these days? He’s letting out all his talents and shuffling between being a singer, an actor and running for elected office.
Before abandoning the music scene, Terry G wasn’t doing badly at all as you’ll see on this list. In all, the Nigerian music industry was doing quite well in 2009 but it has definitely grown impressively in many aspects including sound and video quality, reach and of course, revenue.
These are the songs that ruled the airwaves and YouTube in 2009 and had us gyrating non-stop on the dance floor…
10. ELdee feat. Olu Maintain, Oladele and Banky W – Big Boy (190K views)
9. DJ Zeez – Fokasibe (204K views)
8. Dagrin (Late) – Pon Pon Pon (276K views)
7. Terry G – Free Madness (326K views)
6. Banky W – Strong Ting (614K views)
5. Wande Coal – Bumper to Bumper (700K views)
4. Banky W. – Lagos Party (954K views)
3. Terry G feat. Ay.com – Pass Me Your Love (1.5 million views)
2. Timaya – Plantain Boy (2.6 million views)
1. Wande Coal feat. D’banj – You Bad (3.7 million views)
Which of these was your favourite? If your favourite did not make this list, be sure to let us know in the Rave box below so we can reminisce as well.
And how are you loving the #10YearChallenge so far?
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
A fashion and culture enthusiast who's really a food loving adventurer at heart. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥