While “cakey makeup” sounds delicious, it’s anything but. Cakey makeup simply means you look like there’s a building construction going on on your face with layering definitely not going right, the foundation looking faulty and your face looking heavy and obviously padded. Who would want that in this era of flawless makeup? No one comes to mind.
Luckily, this huge problem comes with a quick fix! Yes, you don’t have to walk with your head down all day or walk into the bathroom and take off everything in helpless surrender. Cakey makeup is easy to repair and in seconds, which means on the go.
What causes cakey makeup?
- Throwing just any type of foundation into your shopping cart without finding out if it’s your perfect match, then pulling the “Hakuna matata” card, hoping the makeup would magically fix itself because you can’t be too bothered to return it. The day of reckoning will come and with it comes cakey makeup. Your foundation should literally disappear into your skin. Beware of the wrong foundation – it could be a confidence buster.
- Another reason could just be bad skin. Maintaining a good skincare routine is very helpful not just to avoid cakey makeup but generally speaking. Try to make moisturizing your skin a habit especially before you start applying makeup. It helps the makeup sit evenly on the skin.
- Less is still more ladies. We can’t use up a week’s worth of makeup in just one sitting and expect flawlessness. If you would apply your makeup more lightly and reduce the amount of products you layer onto your skin, just maybe we won’t be in this cakey situation. In simpler words, layering can increase caking.
Here’s how to fix cakey makeup…
Here are two simple ways to fix cakey makeup:
- Gently use a blotting paper to take out excess oil. This will in turn absorb excess makeup on your skin. A fine and smooth tissue could work if you don’t have blotting paper but you have to be careful not to leave any tissue particles on your face. That in itself is a whole different makeup problem. Then use a loose powder brush – without applying any powder on it – to blend in any left over unevenness. You should shake off any remnant powder on the brush before dusting your face with it.
- For option 2, dab your face with a damp makeup blender. To dampen your makeup blender / sponge, run a little water on it, then wring out any excess water. Next, press it gently against areas of your face where the makeup looks most cakey and blend out from there. The sponge will blend in your makeup and end the cakiness.
But why not prevent a cakey look in the first place?
Here’s how to start applying makeup the right way…
Start with your eye makeup then work your way down to the face makeup. It would help you use fewer products on your face. The strength of the eyes will guide the balance of products you are applying to the skin. If you still run into a cakey situation due to overloading of products along the way, knowing how to fix this quickly will save you valuable minutes and hours.
How to prevent cake makeup after the initial application
Avoid layering foundation or powder throughout the day in a bid to touch up. You could use a damp makeup sponge to re-blend the makeup you’re already wearing. This is particularly helpful on a hot sweaty day and leaves you looking natural all day.
The face mist secret you didn’t know…
This is an essential part of preventing cakey makeup. After every makeup application, finish up with spraying your face with a face mist and during the day if you notice your face is getting cakey, spray away. This means that you should never leave your house without a face mist in your bag.
You see, fixing cakey makeup is not so hard as all these can be achieved in seconds.
Featured image: Ololade Moshood Olawale | Pexels
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
A fashion lover with a voracious appetite for art and travel. As one who's passionate about the advancement of the woman, creating content that inspire smart style and living, and positive lifestyle changes is a duty I take seriously. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥