he concept of reverse makeup involves applying makeup products in the reverse order of the traditional sequence. Instead of starting with the base and working towards the eyes and lips, reverse makeup starts with lip products then moves to eye makeup, and finishes with foundation and base products. This unconventional approach challenges the usual makeup routine and allows greater precision and control over the final look. It also encourages experimentation with new styles and looks that might not be achievable through traditional makeup application.
Reverse makeup gained attention in the beauty and makeup community thanks to social media platforms and the desire for unique and innovative makeup techniques. Platforms like Instagram, TikTok (most especially), and YouTube have played a significant role in popularizing unconventional makeup trends. Makeup artists and enthusiasts began sharing videos and images of reverse makeup transformations, attracting attention due to the visually striking and unexpected nature of the technique.
In addition, both makeup artists and consumers are constantly seeking new ways to stand out and express their creativity. Reverse makeup provides a fresh perspective that challenges traditional norms and allows individuals to create distinctive looks that capture attention.
See easy steps on how to achieve the reverse makeup trend…
Step 1: Prep your skin – To prepare a smooth surface for applying makeup, start by cleaning and hydrating your face. Your makeup will stay longer once you use a primer.
Step 2: Lip makeup – Start with lip liner to define the shape of your lips. (You can slightly overline your lips if desired). Then fill in your lips with your chosen lipstick shade. You can go for a bold, vibrant color to make a statement or neutral tones for understated elegance. Finally, apply lip gloss for added shine and dimension.
Step 3: Eye makeup – Apply eyeshadow primer to your eyelids to ensure your eye makeup stays in place. Next, choose your eyeshadow colors and apply them to your lids, creases, and outer corners. Feel free to experiment with different shades and techniques. Follow this with eyeliner along your upper lash line for definition. Finally, curl your lashes and apply mascara to complete your eye makeup.
Step 4: Face makeup – Apply a lightweight foundation or BB cream to even out your complexion, ensuring to blend it carefully around your lip and eye areas. Then conceal any blemishes, dark circles, or areas that need extra coverage. With your translucent setting powder, set your foundation and concealer.
Step 5: Contour and blush – Apply contour or bronzer to the hollows of your cheeks, along your jawline, and on the sides of your nose. Then add blush to the apples of your cheeks for a healthy flush of color.
Step 6: Highlight – Apply highlighter to the high points of your face, such as the tops of your cheekbones, the bridge of your nose, and your cupid’s bow.
Step 7: Work your brows – Fill in your eyebrows to frame your face. For a flawless and natural look, opt for a brow product that matches your hair color.
Step 8: Add finishing touches – If desired, set your makeup with a setting spray to lock everything in place.
- When doing reverse makeup, precision is key. Take your time to ensure your lip and eye makeup is well-defined and clean.
- Use makeup brushes or applicators appropriate for each step to achieve the desired effect.
- Experiment with different color combinations for lips and eyes to create a unique and eye-catching look.
- Blend carefully around the lip and eye areas when applying foundation to avoid muddiness.
- Feel free to adapt and modify the steps according to your preferences and the products you have.
Benefits of reverse makeup
- Precision and control: By starting with lip and eye makeup, you have better control over these focal points. This allows greater precision in creating sharp lines, defined shapes, and intricate details without the risk of smudging or messing up the foundation and base.
- Reduced mistakes: Mistakes happen, especially in makeup applications. With reverse makeup, if you make a mistake with lip or eye products, you can easily correct it without affecting the rest of your makeup. This can save time and frustration.
- Unique and creative looks: Reverse makeup encourages creativity and experimentation. You can create bold striking looks or muted options that might not be achievable through traditional application. This technique opens up new possibilities for color combinations and styles.
- Focus on key features: Starting with lips and eyes draws attention to these features. This can be especially advantageous if you want to highlight or emphasize these areas for a particular look or occasion.
- Smoother foundation application: Applying foundation after lip and eye makeup ensures the foundation is not disrupted by fallout or excess product from other makeup steps. This gives a smoother and more even application.
- Personal expression: Makeup is a form of self-expression. The reverse makeup technique offers an opportunity to express your creativity and individuality through makeup artistry.
- Increased confidence: As you gain mastery over the technique, you may find that reverse makeup boosts your confidence by allowing you to achieve intricate and unique makeup looks with finesse.
Featured image: @nandi_madida/Instagram
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle, and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
A creative writer with a voracious appetite for fashion, beauty, lifestyle and culture. As one who's passionate about the advancement of the woman, creating content that inspire smart style and living, and positive lifestyle changes is a calling I take seriously. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥