I have been craving seafood okra soup all weekend. The worst part is I don’t even know how to make it! Armed with my cravings, data and some spare time, I went surfing for the easiest recipe and Dobby of Dobby’s Signature came to the rescue. As the name implies, seafood Okra soup is known to contain every seafood you can possibly find and meat is never a part of this meal.
Let’s dig in…
- 20 medium-sized Okra
- 1 cup Palm oil
- 4 medium-sized pepper – grind
- 1 medium-sized onion – grind
- 2 medium-sized fresh fish (i used croaker)
- 2 small crabs
- 1 cup periwinkle – shell removed
- 1 cup shrimp – shell removed
- 1 cup ero belebelenti (black fungus) – optional
- 1/2 cup crayfish
- 2 seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
- Chop the okra. For this recipe, I combined the blended and sliced okra.
- Pour the palm oil into an empty pot and heat up for 1 minute. Add the blended pepper puree and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add the blended onion and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Pour in the water and add the Fresh fish & Crab. Add salt to taste, cover the pot and leave to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground crayfish, Periwinkle, shrimp, mushroom then stir. At this point, I would remove my fresh fish so it doesn’t break up totally in the soup. You could remove it also after steaming for 5 minutes to keep it whole and intact then add it later on at the end of the cooking.
- Now it’s time to add the okra. Add the blended okra first and let it cook for 5 minutes. Then add the sliced okra and let it cook for 3 minutes to retain the crunch. Remember, okra is a vegetable and overcooking it is not ideal.
- Once the soup is ready, add the cooked fish and leave to simmer on low heat for 2 minutes before turning off the burner and the soup is ready. Serve with your favourite swallow.
There you have it! Can’t wait to replicate this recipe. How do make yours?
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
A fashion and culture enthusiast who's really a food loving adventurer at heart. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥