If you are Nigerian and love small chops then you are sure to have come across the Mosa. Being that I am a plantain addict, the Mosa is my favourite item in a pack of small chops. Typically made with overripe plantain or banana, the Mosa are small balls that resemble everyone’s favourite – the Puff Puff.
If you have overripe plantain at home, there is no need to throw it away because it is just perfect for the Plantain Mosa and Dobby of Dobby’s signature has added a twist to it by adding cocoa to the mix. So, if you’re a chocolate lover as much as a plantain lover, then get in here and watch her make the plantain Mosa.
Let’s dig in…
- 2 medium-sized overripe plantain
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. bakers yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp. chilli pepper/ fresh pepper, diced
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (for sprinkling) – optional
Directions for the cocoa plantain Mosa
- Slice the plantain into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add the pepper, bakers yeast and warm water – Blend further.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder & salt into the blended plantain batter and blend some more. The batter shouldn’t be too thick. if it is, you can add some more water.
- Cover the batter and leave to stand for about 20 minutes. During this period, it’d rise and froth. While the batter stands, place the pan on fire and pour in the oil to heat up.
Beat the batter once more and scoop small teaspoons. of it into the oil. This could also be done with the hollow of your washed hand just like puff puff.
Fry till you get a firm brown colour and scoop out onto a paper towel to drain off excess oil.Serve as a snack with a chilled drink.
Watch the video here…
Ever tried making the Mosa? This would be the perfect small chops for your guest in the New Year.
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
A fashion and culture enthusiast who's really a food loving adventurer at heart. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥