ne of the body’s most noticeable features is our skin, which is responsible for shielding us from harsh elements. Therefore, we would naturally want to maintain its optimal health and best appearance. The good news is that we can take care of our skin in many ways. Most of the time, we associate skincare with creams, lotions, and other cosmetics. But in reality, our skin can benefit greatly from a wide range of natural products and treatments, including mushrooms. Using mushrooms for the skin offers a ton of benefits, and we’ll cover them in this article.
What are the benefits of mushrooms for the skin?
They have several surprising benefits that mushrooms provide our skin, including:
- Vitamin D for skin health: Mushrooms are rich in vitamins, including vitamin D which plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy skin. Vitamin D helps your skin stay soft and supple, and it’s even known to contribute to a radiant complexion.
- Vitamin B for hydration: Mushrooms also contain various B vitamins, like niacin and riboflavin. These vitamins are essential for preventing dry and flaky skin. They help your skin stay well-hydrated, making it look and feel smoother.
- Minerals for skin protection: Selenium, copper, and zinc found in mushrooms act like protective shields for your skin. Selenium, for example, prevents damage from the sun’s UV rays, while copper and zinc foster collagen production. This is vital for skin elasticity and youthfulness.
- Antioxidants for skin defense: Mushrooms are loaded with antioxidants. Antioxidants, such as ergothioneine and glutathione, are like your skin’s defense team. They combat free radicals that can cause damage and premature aging. By including mushrooms in your diet, you’re helping your skin stay youthful and healthy.
What are the different types of mushrooms?
Reishi mushrooms, also known as Ganoderma lucidum, have been revered for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine for their health benefits, including their positive impact on the skin. These mushrooms are rich in antioxidants, such as polysaccharides and triterpenes. By reducing oxidative stress, reishi mushrooms help maintain an even skin tone, reduce puffiness, and minimize redness. Additionally, these mushrooms are believed to boost collagen production, promoting skin elasticity and firmness. This can translate to a reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, giving your skin a more youthful appearance.
Shiitake mushrooms, or Lentinula edodes, are known for their culinary appeal, but they offer more than just a delicious taste. They contain kojic acid, a natural compound widely used in skincare products. Kojic acid has skin-brightening properties and is effective at reducing dark spots and blemishes. This means that shiitake mushrooms can help even out your skin tone and leave it looking more radiant. Moreover, shiitakes are rich in ergothioneine, an antioxidant that protects your skin from oxidative damage. This contributes to healthier and more youthful skin.
Cordyceps mushrooms, scientifically known as Ophiocordyceps sinensis, have a unique ability to enhance skin elasticity and reduce visible signs of aging. Their anti-inflammatory properties can soothe irritated skin, reduce redness, and promote a more relaxed and youthful complexion. These mushrooms also maintain skin hydration, which is essential to prevent dryness and maintain a supple appearance.
How to use mushrooms in your skincare routine
If you’re looking to incorporate mushrooms into your skincare routine due to the benefits they provide, consider the following:
- Mushroom-infused skincare products: Look for skincare products like serums, creams, and masks that contain mushroom extracts, such as reishi, shiitake, or cordyceps. These products are formulated to deliver the benefits of mushrooms directly to your skin. Read product labels to ensure they contain the specific mushroom extract you’re interested in. Different mushrooms offer different benefits, so choose products that align with your skin goals.
- DIY mushroom masks: You can create your mushroom face mask by blending or grinding dried mushrooms into a fine powder. Mix this powder with water or a suitable carrier, like yogurt or honey, to form a paste. Apply it to your face and leave it on for about 15-20 minutes before rinsing off. Some popular choices for DIY mushroom masks might include reishi or shiitake mushrooms since they are known for their skin-brightening and anti-aging properties.
- Mushroom-infused oils: Mushroom-infused oils are available and can be used for facial massages or as part of your daily skincare routine. These oils can provide nourishment and hydration to your skin. If you prefer natural products, you can also make your own infused oils by steeping dried mushroom slices in a carrier oil (like jojoba or almond oil) for several weeks.
- Dietary consumption: Don’t forget that what you put into your body can also affect your skin. Include mushrooms in your regular diet to benefit from their nutrients. Incorporating various mushrooms, such as shiitake, can help promote skin health.
Featured image: Ulza/iStock
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle, and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
A creative writer with a voracious appetite for fashion, beauty, lifestyle and culture. As one who's passionate about the advancement of the woman, creating content that inspire smart style and living, and positive lifestyle changes is a calling I take seriously. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥