Have you stepped out of a building by 1pm on a sunny day? If yes, then you know that the heat emanating from the sun is nothing to write home about. Your skin begins to feel like it is literally burning. Some of us can avoid being under the sun because we spend most of the time indoors but for those who necessity demands their outside presence, you’ve got to protect your skin anyway you can. Wear a hat, use your umbrella and above all, invest in a good sunscreen.
Getting a sunscreen shouldn’t be difficult as a lot of beauty stores stock up on really good ones. However, if you are into DIYs and natural skincare, you can simply make an all-natural one for yourself so you know every ingredient in your sunscreen is exactly how you like your beauty products: au naturel!
Here’s how to cook it up…
ALL YOU NEED
- Double-boiler – (Just put a glass bowl over a simmering pot of shallow water)
- Kitchen Scale
- Face Mask – (or hold your shirt over your mouth or tie your towel over your face as you do not want to breathe in the zinc oxide)
- Containers for storing your sunscreen
- 35cl Coconut Oil
- 30cl Carrier Oil – (Almond or Jojoba can be found easily)
- 20g Shea Butter
- 20g Zinc Oxide – (This can easily be purchased online)
- 10cl Vitamin E
- 40 drops Essential Oils – (I personally prefer Lavender, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus, Cedarwood)
- Measure all your ingredients and add them in your glass bowl except for the Zinc Oxide. Place the bowl over a simmering pot of water.
Once your Shea butter has melted and mixed with the other ingredients, carefully remove the glass bowl and set aside. Make sure to wipe down condensation on bowl as you do not want water getting into your product.
- Add Zinc Oxide slowly and whisk to your desired consistency. Ensure you have your face covered at this point.
- Pour in your containers and store in a cool dry place.
Voila! Your natural sunscreen is ready for use.
Photo credit: Getty images
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRaveNG
A fashion and culture enthusiast who's really a food loving adventurer at heart. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥