“What keeps me going is goals,” these are the exact words of the former boxing king Muhammed Ali nicknamed “The Greatest”. News had it that he was on clinging to life on Friday, the 3rd of June due to respiratory issues which had become more complicated because of the Parkinson disease he was battling for over three decades. Sadly Ali couldn’t survive this last battle. He died in the late hours of Friday in an Arizona hospital at the age of 74.
His Best Quotes
Ali spoke with introspection after losing to Ken Norton in 1973, despite 5-1 odds in his favor:
1.”I never thought of losing, but now that it’s happened, the only thing is to do it right. That’s my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life.”
While Ali boasted on his accomplishments in the ring he felt the burden of carrying the hopes and dreams of Black America on his shoulders. In the 1996 documentary “When We Were Kings,” Ali mentions embraces this responsibility:
2. “I’m gonna fight for the prestige, not for me, but to uplift my little brothers who are sleeping on concrete floors today in America. Black people who are living on welfare, black people who can’t eat, black people who don’t know no knowledge of themselves, black people who don’t have no future.”
His quotes cover education:
3. “Stay in College, get the knowledge, stay there until you are through. If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something of you!”
The gamble that is human life:
4. “Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don’t let yourself believe it will happen to you.”
The ability to dream and the consequences for the dreamless:
5. “The man who has no imagination has no wings.”
And believing in oneself:
6. “It’s the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen.”
Muhammed Ali may have left this world, but his legacy, and poignant words of wisdom will live on forever.
See videos that remind us of just how great the boxing legend was and is.
See another video below…
To read more about the life of Ali including his championships, controversies and political involvement, click here.
Rest in peace champion!
Written/Culled by Idy Caroline
Reference: NBC News
At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram! @StyleRave_ ♥