When I think of sugarcanes, the first thing that comes to my mind is the mallam pushing his wheelbarrow filled with sugarcanes of various sizes. I never knew sugarcane juice could be extracted and sold commercially till I visited Abuja and was taken to a spot that sold sugarcane juice. I thought the idea was stellar since it saves lazy bones like me the headache of extracting the juice myself by chewing on the cane. Sugarcane is known and enjoyed for its sweetness and its juice is one of those rare gifts from nature whose health benefits are not well popularized but are really great.
The juice contains about 15 % natural sugar and is rich in organic salts and vitamins. It is also packed with abundant carbohydrates, proteins, and minerals like calcium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, and potassium. It is a 100% natural drink with about 30 grams of natural sugar.
Here are 7 Benefits of Sugarcane juice
- Sugarcane juice is a diuretic which means that it helps treat urinary tract infections, kidney stones and ensure proper functioning of the kidneys. It also helps to strengthen your liver and is thus suggested as a remedy for jaundice.
- The juice gives an instant kick of energy and quenches the thirst. It is a good source of glucose which as we know, helps to re-hydrate the human body and gives it a boost of energy.
- Even though cane juice tastes very sweet and has high sugar content, it is good for diabetic patients. It contains natural sugar which has a low glycemic index that prevents a steep rise in blood glucose levels in diabetics, so it can act as a substitute for aerated drinks for them. However, people with Type-2 diabetes should consume it in moderation and after consultation with their doctors.
- Sugarcane juice is considered an alkaline forming food because of the high concentration of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and manganese in it. Diseases like cancer cannot survive in an alkaline environment and that’s why studies show that it is effective in fighting cancer, especially prostate and breast cancer.
- Sugarcane juice also acts as a good digestive aid due to the presence of potassium. It helps in keeping the digestive system in good shape, prevents stomach infections and is considered to be particularly useful in treating the problem of constipation.
- Studies show that sugarcane juice protects against tooth decay and bad breath due to its high mineral content. So save yourself the next trip to the dentist and drink a glass of fresh sugarcane juice to get shiny white teeth.
- Due to the high levels of alpha hydroxy acids in them, they help to fight acne, reduce blemishes, prevent ageing and help in keeping the skin hydrated.
While the advantages of sugarcane juice are many, it is essential to ensure that it is extracted in a hygienic manner. It’s also important to use and consume the juice as soon it is extracted because it tends to get oxidized within 15 minutes.
Time to keep an eye out for the next mallam who has sugarcanes for sale.
Photo credit: Google images
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_
A fashion and culture enthusiast who's really a food loving adventurer at heart. At Style Rave, we aim to inspire our readers by providing engaging content to not just entertain but to inform and empower you as you ASPIRE to become more stylish, live smarter and be healthier. Follow us on Instagram @StyleRave_ ♥