The average woman loves shoes, some even more than purses and bags. If you fall into this category, first things first, you know that the shoes you love don’t exactly come cheap and so it is imperative that proper care and maintenance measures are put into place so that your shoes can stick around for a long time.
Follow these tips to ensure that your shoes stay prim and as good as new:
- SPACING – Make sure your shoes have a space in your closet and are well spaced out in arrangement. Never throw shoes haphazardly in your wardrobe or into a bag, as this can scuff the material and misshapen them.
- STUFFING – Maintain the shape of soft leather or suede shoes by loosely stuffing them with clean tissues or old newspaper.
- TAKE THEM OFF – Believe it or not, taking off your dress shoes when necessary e.g. as soon as you get home, helps prolong their shape, heel, and lifespan.
- AVOID SUNLIGHT – Keeping leather and suede shoes away from direct heat or sunlight prevents them from drying out and shrinking in size.
- DRYING – Always air dry your shoes naturally and in a cool, warm environment. Leather shoes should have a full day to dry out from natural foot perspiration between wearings.
- CLEANING – To clean your leather and patent leather shoes, wipe them down with a bit of soap on a damp cloth. Never use water in cleaning suede shoes, always remember to brush off the dirt using a shoe or tooth-brush.
- CONDITIONING – Since leather is skin, it’s in your best interest to condition expensive leather shoes before wearing and every other few months to avoid drying, cracking, and damage.
- POLISH – Keep your shoes looking sharp and shiny. Avoid excessive polishing as the polish forms residual layers on the shoe.
Following these tips will prolong the lifespan of your expensive twins. Now, get to showing your shoes some love and be sure to share any other shoe care tips you have with fellow readers in the comment box below.
For the latest in fashion, lifestyle and culture, follow us on Instagram @StyleRaveNG